Wednesday, March 22, 2023

"Its a wonderful healing Wood life for me"

A life long love for wood carving and the tragic passing of her Father from ALS inspires Halfmoon Bay resident Ruthy Boehm to take up chainsaw carving on Sunshine Coast BC Canada 🇨🇦

Born and raised on Vancouver's North Shore she became a natural lover of our forests early in life. At age 13 Ruthy went to "Camp Potlatch" along the picturesque shores of Átl'ḵa7tsem - Howe Sound where she started carving on a cedar log with a pocket knife and immediately fell in love with the fragrance and beauty of the wood.

She eventually learned how to chainsaw but rarely used one for art up until 5 years ago.

In 2018, Ruthy's dad passed away from ALS after battling it for a year (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis aka Lou Gehrig's Disease - a rare progressive neurological nervous system disease that affects motor neurons) ALS Canada.

"Lou Gehrig's disease robbed my dad of an amazing life he was living. It's an extremely difficult way to leave this world. He made every moment count that he had left and that's where I get my strength to also combat my own life illnesses and create my moments of joy in life✨️"

It took a huge toll on her health and she eventually mustered up some strength again and made a decision about what she had always wanted to do and that was chainsaw art.

"I knew I was an older woman but I also knew I had my last window of opportunity still at my disposal. That's when I bought my first chainsaw."

Ruthy learned everything she could about chainsaw carving by following other carvers. Now by word of mouth she does commissions including an Eagle carving for Jeanne and Al Fike of "Divine Love Sanctuary" retreat in Sechelt. During the cold winter months Ruthy does smaller pieces like cedar feathers and Wood Spirits. She is in the process of carving 2 more projects including Baby Groot, a Marvel Comics character plus a commissioned mermaid bird bath.

"I'm definitely in my element... Its a wonderful healing Wood life for me."

Follow Ruthy on her Facebook page Credenza Carver at https://www.facebook.com/credenzacarver

#PHOTO courtesy Michael Fennings

Sunshine Coast BC Canada 🇨🇦 Facebook Page

#chainsawcarving #carver #ruthyBoehm #credenzacarver #halfmoonbay #sunshinecoastcanada #canada #stihl #sunshinecoastbc #britishcolumbia #carver #sunshinecoast #woodcarving #ALSawareness

No comments:

Post a Comment