Monday, March 1, 2010

That's Where Everyone Was

http://www.duaneburnett.blogspot.com

FAVOURITE OLYMPIC MEMORY?
I logged into my facebook profile today to see a comment from Terri Bissett-Page a dear long time friend from my high school days growing up in Ladner, BC

She said
"I cut out a pic of you from the Province my friend....great to see your face in the paper!!" I wasn't sure what Terri was referring to so I Googled myself and saw that I was in the Province newspaper's Sunday Winter Olympic blow out coverage and their online site. Sandy owner of the wonderful Daily Roast coffee shop in Sechelt managed to snag me a copy. Thank you Terri and Sandy!

E-STREET. The Vancouver Province.
What is your favourite memory of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic Games?

"My favourite memory of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Games is the sea to shining sea of red maple leaf Canadian pride and the amazing historic gold medal firsts for Canada." -- Duane Burnett, Sechelt




WHAT A PARTY CANADA
Yesterday I blogged that the streets were deserted of almost any sign of life in Sechelt and I bet rural towns across Canada. Downtown Vancouver apparently attracted over 100,000 people to the Olympic party zone. So many people that they had to close down bridges and bus transportation in and out of the downtown core of the city as people made their way to the celebrations. Vancouver Police reported 21,000 pour outs of liquor during the 17 day festivities.

I guessed in my blog that half of Canada was watching the Gold medal hockey game with the USA team. I was close! The numbers are in, and 16 to 22 million Canadians watched the Hockey Game, and 80% tuned in making it into the history books. According to Stats Canada, as of today the population of Canada is 34,018,977. The Canadian television audience for the Closing Ceremonies was 14 million and billions of people around the world tuned in to watch the 2010 Vancouver games.

USA SILVER
Even the USA got into it, with Business Week reporting
Olympic Hockey Gold Medal Game Viewed by Most in U.S. Since ’80
By Curtis Eichelberger
March 1 (Bloomberg) -- NBC’s broadcast of the Olympic gold medal hockey game between the U.S. and Canada yesterday was watched by 27.6 million people in the U.S., the most in 30 years, according to the network.


Ok... I am going to try to wean myself off of Olympic Mania talk and start to return you to your regular scheduled blogging.

All the best, Peace, Love & Joy in every moment. Duane

No comments:

Post a Comment